Thursday, April 7, 2016

Line Dancing

Being a dancer, any opportunity to dance is very exciting for me. Luckily for me, on my trip to Nashville not only did I dance on the Grand Ole Opry stage, I learned a new dance style on the floor at the Wild Horse Saloon.

Upon walking into the saloon I was overwhelmed with excitement. The first thing I saw was a large group of people who were my age, having fun on the dance floor. I grabbed my all of my friends right away and ran out to the floor. Everyone was doing something called line dancing. Line dancing isn't just standing in rows dancing, which is what I thought it was prior to this trip. What makes it different from other dance styles is that it is interactive. This means that usually, someone is teaching the group a dance or even is dancing with the group. In my case, there was a woman up on the stage, located right in front of the dance floor, teaching us the dance. Once she decided that we had practiced enough, she turned on some music and we showed off our new skills. For example, we learned a dance called the triple step. It's a short dance sequence with different variations of step-touch moves. For me, the dance was very easy to learn, considering my past as a dancer. On dance team or in classes at the dance studio I attend, you have to be able to catch on to the dance you are learning rather quickly to be able to keep up with the group, and keep the learning process going. So, with such simple moves, and in a easy going environment, learning this dance was no challenge for me.

I had so much fun learning a new dance style in Nashville. Being able to experience dance in new ways with unique people and different cultures is one of the reasons I love dance so much. No matter where you go, there is always a way to dance. The styles practiced around the world are all so different. They can have different music, beats, style, speed and more. Every dance is truly unique. It excites me when I am allowed the opportunity to share my talent with people from all over. In situations like this one, I feel as though all of these years of hard work have finally paid off. I get personal joy from dancing at home, but I know that at the Wild Horse Saloon, I was able to show off my skills, and spread joy to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment